Lately I have received quite a few questions about *nix based irc chat, and we recommend xchat and irssi, etc. In regards to irssi we get the question how to use it to auto connect and focus to a channel on our vbirc network. Here are the instructions.
Please note that my experience is not indepth with irssi, so please feel free to correct me! But this is what I figured out and what worked for me, and how I use it with success.
Of course, download the latest build of irssi from the official web site: http://irssi.org/
Once unpacked and installed,
– start: From linux console: irssi
– add a network: /network add vbirc
– add a server: /SERVER ADD -auto -network vbirc irc.vbirc.com 6667
– add a channel: /CHANNEL ADD -auto #chat vbirc
– change layout: /window 2
– save layout: /layout save
– save: /save
– test: From linux console: irssi
There, I hope it’s simple enough to figure out and configure, and see you soon in #chat on irc.virc.com?
For help please join us : http://vbirc.com/chat/mibbit.php